Sunday, April 02, 2006

Transplant, Chapter Eight

One day, Jesus told me I was ready to be released to the convalescent unit. He sat with me and gave me careful instructions on the care of my new heart. There were certain things I could eat, and certain things I must not eat. I was to be careful to eat regularly, and to drink freely of the water of life. I was to exercise a little more every day. I must breathe deeply, and learn a special set of breathing exercises to do morning, noon, and evening. Then Jesus gave me a bottle of medicine. "You must take this medicine every single day for the rest of your life. "
I looked at the bottle. "I don't understand. I have a new, healthy heart now. Why must I still take medicine?"
"You have a new heart," said Jesus, "but until I end this world and create the new one, you still have the same old body. It sees this new heart as an intruder, and will build up antibodies every day to try to get rid of it. This medicine will prevent your body from rejecting the new heart and either killing you, or requiring another new surgery."
I shuddered at the thought.
"Your body will not miss a day of building these antibodies," warned Jesus. "You must not miss a day of your medicine. If you do miss a day, start taking it again immediately, and talk to Me about it. I will still be with you everywhere you go, and I will be watching over you and your new heart. And now, I have a request to make of you."

To be continued. . .
Repairing the Breach,
Debbonnaire

No comments: