Thursday, April 06, 2006

Transplant, Chapter Nine

In the convalescent unit, there were other heart surgery patients, also recovering from their ordeals. As we talked,we found that each of our stories was different. We learned that we could encourage or discourage each other by telling them, depending on our attitudes and the ways we told the stories. We did our breathing exercises together, and learned to walk and not be weary, and even to run and not faint. We reminded each other to take our medicine.
However, I learned that there were also those living there who had not had heart surgery Some were living with us because they were trying to make up their minds about the surgery. They watched us closely all the time, trying to decide if the surgery was effective, and it it was worth the pain. Others did not have the surgery because they were certain they did not need it. No matter how pale their faces or how blue their lips, the insisted they were fine. No matter how faint they became, they said it was perfectly normal, and we were foolish to say there was more to life. It was very frustrating. I was so glad Jesus had convinced me to led Him do the whole operation.
Sometimses I forgot to take my medicine. When that happened, it was easier to drink a little less, and eat just a few of the foods I wasn't supposed to eat. Soon I would be feeling tired and sad again. Then the ones who did not have a new heart pointed at me and laughed. "See?" they jeered. "Doesn't last very long, does it?"
Sadly I would turn to Jesus, who was still at my side, thought I had not noticed Him much lately. "Lord, what can I do? Why am I so weak? Didn't You say this new heart would last forever?"

To be continued. . .
Repairing the Breach,
Debbonnaire
check out my website at www.debbonnaire.com

2 comments:

wenstumped said...

Sorry Debbonaire! I should have come back here much earlier. U really do write very well and I honestly can't wait to see what happens next. I will certainly ask my friends to stop by as well. I'm sure they would like it too! Take care and keep up the awesome work! In the words of Carrie Underwood's song- Jesus take the wheel!!

Debbonnaire Kovacs said...

Thanks! You certainly don't have to apologize! There's no "should" and I wouldn't have even said anything if you hadn't mentioned your mother, so I was worried that I had upset you or scared you away. I'm glad you like it, but if you ever get bored or busy, don't worry about it.
Debbonnaire