Sunday, March 05, 2006

A New Direction

Frequently, when I tell a children's story at church, adults come up to me to thank me, telling me that my way of putting the principles of faith and God's love into visual images helps them, too. So some years ago I had the idea of beginning a series of small booklets called Pictures of Salvation: For People Who Don't Like Big Words. I have three of these written, and several more in my head, but never quite knew what to do with them or how to market them. Today is your lucky day! I've decided to publish them in serial form, here on my blog, free for all. If you should decide you would like a booklet of your own, you may contact me for information and I will send one for any size of donation to cover my postage, handling, paper, and ink.
The first one I'm going to publish here was actually Book Two, but it fits with what I've said so far in this meandering journal. It's a "told" story, not in my usual fictional style as the others will be.
Warning: It's pretty intense. Some people don't like it.

TRANSPLANT
copyright 1999
Please do not use any portion without permission. Don't worry - I'll likely give it. I just want to know.

Once upon a time, I was in hell. For me hell was not a place of flames and heat, but of bitter cold, deathly blackness, slime and smell and heartbreaking loneliness. It was a place where I huddled into myself, a place where breathing and sobbing meant the same thing.
Jesus has been to hell too. I know because He came there to get me. He came right through that thick, black, slimy wall as if it weren't there, and with Him came light and warmth. Hell was uglier than ever now that I could see it in His light. I looked around in revulsion, and then down at myself. I realized with horror that I was filthier and uglier and bloodier than my surroundings.
Miserably, I tried to scuttle back into a darker corner so He wouldn't see me, but He came directly to my side and held out His arms to me. I stared at Him, uncomprehending.
"Come here, child," He said gently.
I held up my arms like a baby, and He scooped me up in His powerful arms and carried me away. . .

to be continued

Repairing the Breach,
Debbonnaire

2 comments:

wenstumped said...

Well! You certainly are a story teller. You just have to leave to leave the reader wanting more don't you. The mark of all great story tellers I suppose. Excellent Imagery. But I really would like to hear the rest of it.

Debbonnaire Kovacs said...

Thanks! I hope so. It's funny, because I worried that people would think this one wasn't either exciting or well-written. So I'm glad at least one person does.
Debbonnaire