Thursday, March 09, 2006

Transplant, Chapter Three

When I next looked at Jesus, He was wearing a white lab coat. My smile faded in bewilderment. This had never been included in my imaginings of heaven. Angels came toward us pushing a hospital gurney, and Jesus picked me up and laid me on it.
"Lord," I faltered, "what are you doing?"
He nodded to the angels, and they began pushing me. "It's time for your heart surgery," said Jesus, and we went through a door I had not noticed before, into a brightly lighted operating room.
Heart surgery?! But - I had had the new birth! I was a whole new person! Now that He mentioned it, I knew it was true that my heart was not very regular, and breathing sometimes came hard for me. But I hadn't felt any pain since He had picked me up, down in that pit. Surely I would be all right now. Heart surgery?
Tubes and lines of life support were attached to my body. I turned my head and saw the tray of shining instruments. Scalpels of circumstance, of providence, some I couldn't identify, and of course, large and double-edged, so sharp its edge glinted in the overhead lights, the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.
Terrified, I saw Jesus pick up a knife of circumstance and hold it over my bared chest. With a scream, I reached up to grab His hand.
"Lord! Aren't You at least going to put me to sleep?"

To be continued

Repairing the Breach,
Debbonnaire

No comments: