Thursday, March 09, 2006

Transplant, Chapter Three

When I next looked at Jesus, He was wearing a white lab coat. My smile faded in bewilderment. This had never been included in my imaginings of heaven. Angels came toward us pushing a hospital gurney, and Jesus picked me up and laid me on it.
"Lord," I faltered, "what are you doing?"
He nodded to the angels, and they began pushing me. "It's time for your heart surgery," said Jesus, and we went through a door I had not noticed before, into a brightly lighted operating room.
Heart surgery?! But - I had had the new birth! I was a whole new person! Now that He mentioned it, I knew it was true that my heart was not very regular, and breathing sometimes came hard for me. But I hadn't felt any pain since He had picked me up, down in that pit. Surely I would be all right now. Heart surgery?
Tubes and lines of life support were attached to my body. I turned my head and saw the tray of shining instruments. Scalpels of circumstance, of providence, some I couldn't identify, and of course, large and double-edged, so sharp its edge glinted in the overhead lights, the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.
Terrified, I saw Jesus pick up a knife of circumstance and hold it over my bared chest. With a scream, I reached up to grab His hand.
"Lord! Aren't You at least going to put me to sleep?"

To be continued

Repairing the Breach,
Debbonnaire

3 comments:

wenstumped said...

Wow! That really is a good story and I honestly can't wait to read what happens next. I'll be honest with you though. It's very scary to read as I recently lost my mother to an unsuccessful triple bypass operation. Don't know why I'm telling you this. But for a moment I could see what my mom might have seen, Just before Jesus carried her away...
And thank you for your comment on my blog as well. Trust me! Nikes are worth it.

Debbonnaire Kovacs said...

It scares me, too, to hear you say that. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. On the other hand, this is a parable, and not really about surgery at all, of course. Remember that I said this is intense and some people don't like it. Actually, it's hard for me, too. At the end, I'll make it clear that I don't believe for one second that Jesus causes the harsh circumstances that happen to us, but He does use them, and often it does hurt.

Debbonnaire Kovacs said...

Blue Child -
I decided I said that too briefly. I am not only sorry to hear about your Mother, but I pray that God is granting you peace and comfort, and, in fact, that this difficult time in your life (ccertainly not caused by God!) will be used by Him for your growth and greater strength.
Prayers,
Debbonnaire